PreachingToday.com's Top Ten Lists
The Top Ten Sermons, Skills Articles, and Illustrations from 2014.
Average Rating: Not rated [see ratings/reviews]
As we approach the New Year, it's fun to look back on the most-read pieces from our 2014 sermons, preaching skills articles, and illustrations. So without further ado, we present to you our Top Ten Lists for 2014:
You can't go wrong with Tim Keller, and his Easter sermon topped our chart for 2014. And in January of 2014 we also presented an amazing gift from our friend Pastor Lawrence Aker III, a previously-unpublished sermon by none other than Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This sermon actually lit up the charts way beyond PreachingToday.com's audience as well. But check out all the Top Ten sermons below.
1. Jesus Vindicated
The resurrection makes the future certain, personal, and unimaginable.
2. Guidelines for a Constructive Church
Too many churches are more concerned with a cushion than following Jesus on the way of the cross.
3. The Forgotten Man of Christmas
Joseph is remarkably simple and simply remarkable in his obedience.
4. Your New Identity
Easter means that we have identity of Christ: we're dead and alive in him.
5. Hope is a Who
If life has a way of killing dreams, Christ's resurrection has a way of bring them back to life.
6. Simplify (Part 1)
Pouring streams of replenishment into your depleted life.
7. Rethinking the Great Commission
How do disciples live out the church's mission?
8. The World's Greatest Talk: Choices
We all have to decide whether we will be merely an admirer of Christ or a devoted follower of Christ.
9. Vampire Churches
Is your church giving life to young people, or draining it away?
10. Where Do You Want to Finish Your Life?
At death, will your life count?
Top Ten Preaching Skills Articles
Preaching is never easy, but remember you're not doing this alone. The Triune God is on your side, and you also have a host of mentors, coaches, and colleagues who are also sharing God's Word week after week. At PreachingToday.com we try to provide a community of fellow-preachers. This Top Ten list represents your favorite (in terms of page views) skills articles from 2014. Enjoy the list and may it inspire and encourage you.
1. 5 Ways to Recover 'After' Your Sermon
When the lights are off, the sermon is done, and everyone's gone home, how do you handle the lows of preaching?
2. Reviewing Game Film: How to Evaluate Your Sermon
Use this simple Sermon Evaluation Form and a preaching 'coach' to help you evaluate your preaching.
3. 7 Things I've Learned About Preaching (Part 1)
Searching for the heart of homiletics.
4. Step 4: Organize the Sermon
Have the Big Idea? Now here's how to find the structure that will most effectively deliver.
5. Should We Preach Like a TED Talk?
Strive to be memorable, but let God and his Word change lives.
6. Plagiarism, Integrity, and Giving Our Best
How do you give your very best to sermon prep every week?
7. Step 7: Apply Your Message
How to give clear, grace-filled application that lead to real life transformation.
8. Step 1: Prepare Your Soul to Preach
Keeping your soul fresh with God—week after week.
9. Lights, Camera, Pulpit! (Part 1)
Four screenwriting tips that apply to preachers, too.
10. What I Wish My Pastor Would Say About Mothers
Three women share how they'd like you to deal with Mother's Day.
Top Ten Illustrations
1. A Parable about Missing the Obvious
2. Tim Keller: The Resurrection Will Restore All Things
3. Skydiving Needs Absolute Rules, not Relativism
4. Greedy Dog Gobbles Up Seven Golf Balls
5. A Woman Who Always Prayed the Same Prayer
6. How Shepherds Submerge Their Sheep in Antiseptic
7. Farmer Brings Milk to Enemies During War
8. Survey Asks, "What Do You Think about Church?"
9. Why Rejection Feels Like Physical Pain
10. Cohabitation is not Like a Test Drive
Matt Woodley serves as the Editor for PreachingToday.com and the Pastor of Compassion Ministries at Church of the Resurrection in Wheaton, Illinois. He is also the author of God With Us: The Gospel of Matthew (IVP).