Text:2 Samuel 23:1317
Topic: How leaders are to relate to their followers
Three men in particular form the core of David's inner circle and are very loyal to him.
People are often very loyal to Christian leaders.
David wished for a drink of water partly because of nostalgia.
- Illustration: Robinson remembers with nostalgia the sodas at Schefnickel's in his New York boyhood.
David's three chief men show their loyalty to David.
- Illustration: David's three closest soldiers risk their lives to get David water from a well in Bethlehem.
In Hebrew, loyalty taken to the highest pitch of devotion is hessed, and expresses God's love for us.
- Illustration: The devotion of Denver Bronco fans in Denver.
Leaders should be loyal to their followers.
Leaders should respond in humble service to people's devotion to them.
- Illustration: David feels he doesn't deserve the water his men got for him.
- Illustration: Journalist's comment on 60 Minutes about elected politicians: "When a man comes to Washington these days, he comes to his office thinking of it as a prize he has won."
- Illustration: Paul and his relationship with the Philippian church.
Our loyalty to our followers should be like God's loyalty to us.
God is loyal to us no matter our sin.
- Illustration: David's adultery and murder of Uriah are forgiven by God in his hessed.